Friday, January 31, 2014

"Europa Report" - A Short Movie Review




"Europa Report" - 2013 Magnet Releasing DVD Genre: Science Fiction


Now, I'm sort of an old-school S/F fan. I was watching Star Trek "The Original Series" when that was the ONLY Star Trek on TV! Yes, I'm that old. So, my standards for good sci-fi are variable. I like some cheaply made ones & I like some multi-million dollar ones. There's some I loathe & there's some I love- there's even some I revere!

"Europa Report" is one that I revere. Really.

I've been hearing about "Europa Report" since well before it's release, but only this week have I actually had the time to purchase & watch the movie. The only version I could find was on DVD but I assure you that I will be buying the Blu-Ray disk in the near future!

"Europa Report" was made for about $10 million dollars (chump change compared to other modern SF films), but you can't tell it. I would venture to say that this film is the most realistic depictions of space travel ever made to date. I would compare it to "2001: A Space Odyssey" in it's realism, but in my opinion, there is no comparison. "Europa Report" beats "2001" hands down in the realism department.

Director Sebastian Cordero has taken, what is now coined "found footage" films and actually made it work! The story is complex and told in same manner- you have to pay attention. The SPFX in the film are hyper-realistic and impressive. The plot, as it is revealed, is a monumental in scope but subtly revealed.

I won't go through the entire plot as to not spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. I will tell you that it is firmly based in science fact and the recent discovery of thermal vents & under-ice oceans on the moon, "Europa" orbiting Jupiter. Scientific realism abounds in the film all without boring the viewer. A true achievement in film balance, especially in a SF film.

The music was also a fantastic nuance skillfully crafted by composer Bear McCreary, most known for scoring the AMC series "The Walking Dead". The music fits the film like a glove, but not intrusive.

I'll sum it up like this: If you like cool, interesting S/F- you need to see this film. I'm sure you will not regret it.

-Deadite Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment